Thursday, July 21, 2011

La biblioteca blanca y la librería blanca (the white library and the white bookshop)


It's an
Overcast
Winter Morning







Wrapped Books 

Unwrapped Books


The White Library



The Cuban-born artist Wilfredo Prieto designed and created the White Library. This is not your average library.  It has books: 6000 of them, in different formats or sizes: 10.  What makes this library different and unique is not its colour: White.  Nor its size: Small. Nor the quality of its books: fantastic quality paper, flawless binding. What makes the place exceptional is that you can't find a single letter (a, b, c, ç, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, ñ, o, p, q, r, s, t, u,v, w, x, y, z) in the entire library. You want to read something and you can't.  You search inside each book, page by page, trying to find a letter, a word, a sentence (some people try really hard) and you find nothing. Can we still call this place a Library? The urge to read becomes strong: "I want to read and I can't??'' Where have all the letters gone? Why are all books blank? I hear the artist's voice: D-o-n-'-t-t-a-k-e-a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g-f-o-r-g-r-a-n-t-e-d.D-o-n-'-t-b-e-n-a-i-v-e.Y-o-u-o-w-n-t-h-e-w-o-r-d-s.






The White Bookshop


The White Library (la Biblioteca Blanca) came to my mind when I went inside a local bookshop that was closing down.  Big red signs 'everything has to go', 'up to 70% discounts' 'closing-down sale' attracted many passers-by like me; I could not resist the urge to have a look.  Not many books left for sale; the bookshop was practically empty except for the white helves that looked like the shop's skeleton.  It was so white that I thought about the White Library of Wilfredo Prieto.

I bought two books. When I arrived home I gave them to Sandy; she loves sinking her claws into my books.  It has become my personal footprint: her claws on paper are an indelible mark that no one can replicate (it is like human fingerprints: unique); in this way I can recognize all my books, no matter where I take them, who I lend them to or where I leave them behind.  

I need to be careful with the books I borrow from the Library because she sinks her claws on them too, despite my objections.  My complaints always fall on deaf hears as far as Sandy is concerned.  She pretends not to understand me but she does.  No one has told me anything at the Library so I assume they haven't noticed.  I can't help smiling when I come across a book with her marks when I am browsing. I know I borrowed that book.  It carries her (and mine) footprint.

As soon as Sandy finished with the books she rushed to the computer and typed: take me to the bookshop NOW with the camera. I must document this for posterity. I said NOW and I said with the CAMERA. Sandy.

Why I taught a stupid and arrogant cat to type defies belief but you know me, I do what I am told (most of the time) otherwise I pay for it in cleaning products, later.

We took many photos of empty shelves which are not inspiring nor uplifting.

At the front they still had some books left for sale. I found a couple I liked, heavily discounted and when I was paying for them I had this conversation with the shop assistant; he looked tired and frustrated:


- 'You look tired'.
- 'I am. It is very hard to close a bookshop down'.
- It must be. It is kind of sad too'.
He gave me a piercing look:  'Sad? I'll tell you what is sad: this was a really good business, we made lots of money in this shop and now, look, we are closing down like many business in town! that's sad.

I don't think he was much of a book lover. He sold books to make a living, books, shoes, towels ...  

Sandy will now take care of the post. Spanish practice time. Take care, until next time.
  
Matilda ♥


HOLA AMIGOS Y AMIGAS (DE TODAS LAS EDADES):


No tengo ninguna novedad importante, así que hoy, vamos a dedicar este post a la etimología (siempre interesante).
Hay dos palabras del inglés y del español que son 'falsos amigos' (false friends):

librería = bookshop
biblioteca = library


LA PALABRA BIBLIOTECA

Biblio viene del griego y significa libro. El plural de 'biblio' en griego es 'biblia' o sea que:

La Biblia, conjunto de libros canónicos del judaísmo y del cristianismo, significa los libros. 




Si juntamos biblio + teca se forma la palabra 'biblioteca'
"teca" en griego quiere decir 'caja' o 'armario' 
así que biblioteca es la la caja o el armario de los libros.


Hay más ejemplos:
  • biblioteca: lugar donde se guardan libros
  • videoteca: lugar donde se guardan videos
  • pinacoteca: lugar donde se guardan obras pictoricas, cuadros
  • hemeroteca: lugar donde se guardan publicaciones periodicas (diarios, revistas etc)
  • filmoteca: lugar donde se guardan filmes, peliculas)
  • discoteca: lugar donde se guardan discos, tambien sala de baile
  • fonoteca: archivo de sonidos
  • fototeca: lugar donde se guardan fotos


LA PALABRA LIBRERíA

Libro viene del latin 'librum'. 
Si juntamos libro + ría conseguimos formar una palabra que significa tienda o lugar donde venden libros.

Hay más ejemplos:
  • donde venden carne: carnicería
  • donde venden zapatos: zapatería
  • donde venden flores: floristería
  • donde venden fruta: frutería
  • donde venden juguetes: juguetería
  • donde venden joyas: joyería
  • donde venden pescado: pescadería
  • donde vendían leche: lechería
  • donde venden herramientas: ferretería
  • donde se hace la colada: lavandería
  • donde venden pasteles y tortas: pastelería
  • donde se toma chocolate calentito: chocolatería
  • donde limpian prendas en seco: tintorería
  • donde venden perfumes: perfumería

Dejemos las cuestiones del lenguaje (siempre interesantes) para otro rato y pasemos a contar lo que pasó en la librería.

Como muy bien ha explicado Matilda fuimos, a petición mía desde luego, a hacer unas fotos que os enseño a continuación.  Bastante deprimente, tantas estanterías vacías ¿no? Habían unos folios en los estantes con saludos y frases de despedida en muchos idiomas, supongo que para animar un poco, no sé. Las fotos son para documentar este periodo de transición del libro de papel al libro digital, aunque aun está por ver en qué queda todo al final.

en italiano

ya no quedan libros


estanterías vacías, a modo de laberinto



aquí tampoco queda nada


en italiano

en español

en catalán: hasta luego


en latín: adiós

en inglés: que amargo será el último adiós




No sé qué nombre tiene la lengua que se habla en Hawai (hawainano ?). Aloha quiere decir amor, paz y se utiliza como saludo, igual que ¡hola!



otra despedida en inglés
adiós en euskera





En inglés: 'que el camino te lleve a buen destino'







Gracias en Tagalog, Cebuano e Ilongo
en bengalí 'cuidate'


en lengua córnica

en italiano: hasta la vista

por no haber no había ni polvo


en la estantería de fondo azul estaban los clásicos


non, rien de rien, non, je ne regrette rien


vaya panorama ...




lo que era la papelería


saludo típico

en holandés: adiós

de la serie televisiva

en francés: adiós




en croata: adiós


Adiós en Xhosa
Llegamos al final. Las fotos hablan por si solas y yo, la verdad, estoy ya para echarme una siesta. Los gatos, ya se sabe, somos animales que descendemos de los dioses de la antiguedad. Nuestro lema es: il dolce fare niente. No pierdo ni un segundo más, durmiendo estoy ya .... zzzzzzzzzzz

Hasta la próxima amigos y amigas,


Sandy ♥



No comments:

Post a Comment