Sunday, January 30, 2011

They burn pianos in this city, don't they ? (Chiharu Shiota) - El piano que ardió en mi ciudad

Last Sunday I took Sandy to an exhibition and I'd rather forget about it ... 'In Silence' is an original artistic display by Japanese artist Chiharu Shiota. The exhibition is part of a BIG thing called Mona Foma which I may tell you about one day.

I hid Sandy in my special bag and we went to the Church that is now an Art Gallery. She knows she has to keep perfectly still when we go through 'human controls'.  I was the only visitor so, once inside, I went upstairs and told Sandy she could have a peak.  A peak? When she saw all that wool she went berserk. She jumped out of the bag, at lightning speed, and got herself entangled, trapped, like the burnt piano downstairs. 

I should have known.  Cats and wool? it's like women and chocolate or teenagers and alcohol, isn't it? 

With the help of the young man who was looking after the display we managed to free her without causing much damage. I think he found the whole episode funny as he was smiling when he said "a trapped piano downstairs and an entangled cat upstairs, this does not happen everyday". I offered to pay for repairs and damages and left my phone number just in case but I have not heard from them at all. A friend told me that there is now a sign that says: no pets allowed.  

And Sandy? well, Sandy is grounded. No internet, no blogging, no sardines, no Freddy G. no outings, no special treats: nothing.  So, today no post from her in Spanish, and sorry if someone reads them.  Here are some photos I took at the In Silence display and outside, if you want to have a look.  They make no justice to the real thing. I loved it.  When I read the artist's story and why she burnt the piano it made so much sense to me.  Here is her website if you are interested: chiharu-shiota (http://www.chiharu-shiota.com/).


 Chiharu Chiota:  In Silence


Sometimes we have no words to express our feelings. Then we need to do something like ...

A veces carecemos de palabras que expresen nuestros sentimientos y hacemos cosas drástica como  ...



... burning a piano

... prenderle fuego a un piano
                       so it becomes 'eternally silent'
                       para que se calle para siempre




10 days of work ... to create a web of silence and solitude that entraps the loss

10 días de trabajo ... creado redes de silencio y soledad que atrapen lo perdido ...




the piano is dead
                                                    el piano está muerto


in aeternum
(para siempre)










and outside ... another web?
y fuera ...    ¿otra filigrana?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment